TGCaps Forums | Polls | Search | Rules/Guide |
Cap This! TGCaps Forums / Cap This! /  

Ads that don't work anymore

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »  
Mavra

#1 | Posted: 28 Apr 2010 02:31

I'm going to post a bunch of really inappropriate ads I got in one email. Some of you may have received this, but I thought this is the perfect place for some very funny recaps! Some are TG, the rest I included just for laughs. How different things were!

Here's the first (1 of 14):

Mavra

#2 | Posted: 28 Apr 2010 02:32 | Edited by: Mavra

2 of 14:

Mavra

#3 | Posted: 28 Apr 2010 02:34

3 of 14:

Mavra

#4 | Posted: 28 Apr 2010 02:35 | Edited by: Mavra

4 -7 of 14 (NON TG BUT FUNNY):

Mavra

#5 | Posted: 28 Apr 2010 02:39 | Edited by: Mavra

I hope you enjoy these. I expect to see some "wicked funny" captions.
8-14 of 14:

Tristra

#6 | Posted: 28 Apr 2010 11:00

Some of those are very disturbing from todays perspective.

Thanks for sharing.
Mavra

#7 | Posted: 28 Apr 2010 11:37

Tristra: I can't figure out which one is the most disturbing. Babies drinking cola is pretty bad.
I think the woman's head on a tiger skin rug is the most offensive: It kills an endangered species and has a man putting his foot on a woman's head. What were they thinking?

Camel cigs (famous for Joe Camel selling cigs to kids) would ship all the Camel cigs for FREE to the doctors. At this point in history there was incomplete evidence as to the carcinogenic nature of cigs. Obviously, if the doc could get free cigs, why would they buy any other brand? So the Camel ads could imply that smoking their brand was relatively safe.

Creepy, huh?

I think the general attitude of a wife being an appendage started to fade in the 1960's. Believe it or not, Bewitched and Sidney Sheldon's I Dream of Jeannie were big steps forward, showing women with power.

Look back at I Love Lucy. Ricky was always "Lord and Master." Has anyone written a swap story about Lucy and Ricky? That could be interesting. (Fred and Ethel? I'll pass.) Ethel was actually younger than Lucille Ball. Lucy always had her "frump up" so Lucy looked better. And IRL Fred and Ethel hated each other.
Mr Ram

#8 | Posted: 28 Apr 2010 12:19

Four out of five doctors prefer camels, the other one dates girls!

Mr. Ram
suedenim

TGCapper and Moderator 

#9 | Posted: 28 Apr 2010 20:13

I'm actually more struck by some of the more mundane bits:
- Love that powerful 16-bit computer there!
- Leggs was once a menswear brand? (I guess it's different from the pantyhose brand, which adds the apostrophe to get L'eggs and the whole "they come in eggs" angle.)
Mavra

#10 | Posted: 28 Apr 2010 20:57 | Edited by: Mavra

Suedenim: 16-bit?? I think you give it too much credit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleprinter
According to this, it was 5-bit Baudot code.

Leggs? Yeah, I noticed that too. They're all a hoot!

To all: The "Is it always illegal to kill a woman?" is very disturbing, but the artwork could easily be recapped to "But Honey, this swap machine has got to work a second time! I hate shaving and wearing neckties!"

A creepy thing about "Love's Baby Soft" ad: It wasn't that long ago, maybe late '70s, early '80s. And isn't that hand an adult hand? I think they used an adult hand model for that shot!
Mavra

#11 | Posted: 28 Apr 2010 20:59

Mr Ram: Funny!
GrimGhost

#12 | Posted: 28 Apr 2010 22:49

Your pleas have been heard, Mavra -- I've got a couple of recaps in the works.
princessjenni

#13 | Posted: 29 Apr 2010 03:52

Mavra : I agree that Bewitched & I Dream of Jeannie were positive steps foreword, but I think a big turning point was the ad with the catch phrase "My wife, I think I'll keep her. " ( a coffee ad, I think ). It was like a breaking point was reached. It was mercilessly ridiculed on variety & late night shows. I remember Johnny Carson taking a pie in the face for uttering the line.
GrimGhost

#14 | Posted: 29 Apr 2010 05:09

First of two promised recaps. I'm probably wrong about the history, but who cares?

GrimGhost

#15 | Posted: 29 Apr 2010 07:03

For one thing, Al Gore neither invented the internet, nor claimed to invent the internet. But again, who cares?

Link: http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp
Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
Cap This! TGCaps Forums / Cap This! / Ads that don't work anymore Top
Your reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.