TGCaps Forums | Polls | Search | Rules/Guide |
Modified Graphics TGCaps Forums / Modified Graphics /  

A magazine cover attempt

Mary Anne

#1 | Posted: 22 Jun 2007 16:36

I have tried to make a magazine cover but I'm not sure about the results.

I need your critics, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks.

Mary Anne
Magazine cover 1
Magazine cover 1
SoCalSecrets
TGCapper 

#2 | Posted: 22 Jun 2007 23:06 | Edited by: SoCalSecrets

I like it. You picked a great title, and the look on your showgirl's face is priceless. The magazine looks sort of like a Cosmo for TGs.

The only thing that I think that you might try is reducing the kerning (the space between letters) in the title. Or you could try a shadowed effect (the easiest way is to do the title in black, and then add the hot pink version on top, but slightly offset.
femur

Admin 

#3 | Posted: 24 Jun 2007 15:03

I think it's a nice first effort. In terms of constructive criticism, I'd avoid too much shadowing on the text. Take a look at magazines on the newsstand, not too many use the effect, but lots of stuff on the web does.

I too love the title, but not necessarily the title font. I think the letters are too skinny for a realistic magazine title. Even most of the women's magazines have chunky, sans serif fonts. And I'd bring down the images for the side stories a bit. They run together with the main image too much.

Finally, how about a snappier tag line than "TG Magazine" for Lipstick?

I hope this helps. I do think it's a nice cover, and would love to see more!
SoCalSecrets
TGCapper 

#4 | Posted: 25 Jun 2007 03:54 | Edited by: SoCalSecrets

I hope that Mary Anne doesn't mind, but I took her cover and then tried to make it more Cosmo-ish. This was just a real quick and dirty reworking, and not an attempt at a polished finished example.
Cosmo for T-Girls
Cosmo for T-Girls
Mary Anne

#5 | Posted: 25 Jun 2007 11:51

Femur: Thanks for your critics and advice! That's the only way we can improve! Please...what do you mean as "snappier" (sorry, my English is not very good ;-)

So Cal: Of course I don't mind...on the contrary I tank a lot your opinion and, better, your try to make it more Cosmo-ish.

I liked your new titles: Kama Sutra and the new herbal.

I wonder if the lipstick trace you put on the background need to be more transparent....
SoCalSecrets
TGCapper 

#6 | Posted: 26 Jun 2007 04:52 | Edited by: SoCalSecrets

With the lipstick print in the background set at 50%, it looks much better. With the rather pink-looking lips in the background, I then returned the title to bright red, and made a couple of other minor changes.

As for Femur's comments about the fonts for the title: I think that the font should be a little bolder, but I'm not a big fan of the san-serif fonts that so many magazines use these days (here's a representative sampling).
Cosmo for T-Girls - Revised
Cosmo for T-Girls - Revised
Modified Graphics TGCaps Forums / Modified Graphics / A magazine cover attempt Top
Your reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.