TGCaps Forums | Polls | Search | Rules/Guide |
Modified Covers TGCaps Forums / Modified Covers /  

Spells R Us 2

AndiJF

TGCapper and Moderator 

#1 | Posted: 27 Jul 2007 07:49

Well, since my poll suggests that, of the small minority who've voted so far, the forum membership seems to favour posting new covers in new threads, here is a new Spells R Us offering. Let's hope it meets with a bit more success than my last Bodyshift, which sank without trace.

I tried a few new things with this one. The original cover wasn't very good (it was a Charlton, so what do you expect), and the layout was rather cramped, but I was attracted by the pose of the girl in the foreground.
Making Lemonade!
Making Lemonade!
SoCalSecrets
TGCapper 

#2 | Posted: 27 Jul 2007 19:01

I really like the twist that you gave to the Spells R Us cover. I agree that it is a striking pose that's made much better without those weepy tears.

You did a great job getting rid of the tears. I'd been thinking of trying to do that with several interesting covers that I've found. Now that I've seen it successfully done, I'll probably try it myself.

[PS: Given the sample size, I wouldn't be surprised that the differences shown in the poll so far would rate as statistically insignificant.]
femur

Admin 

#3 | Posted: 29 Jul 2007 13:23

A whole story in one image. Great job!
AndiJF

TGCapper and Moderator 

#4 | Posted: 31 Jul 2007 21:14 | Edited by: AndiJF

Thank you very much for your comments SoCalSecrets and Femur.

Removing the tears was trivial, but fixing the eyes was a pain, because the lower edge pretty much had to be drawn in from scratch, and I had several goes at it. When I'd finished, I thought the girl had a slightly sardonic expression, which in turn inspired the recap, title etc. I usually retouch and prepare a cover image before I decide what to do with it.

I'm sure the poll is not statistically significant. More importantly, I'm still not sure whether adding a cover to an existing thread, or starting a new one, has any effect on the chance of it receiving any comments...
Jezzi Stewart

TGCapper 

#5 | Posted: 7 Aug 2007 00:16

Great one, sis! I love it when the "victims" turn the tables.
Eric

#6 | Posted: 23 Aug 2007 10:44

I love these turn the tables on the villians story! Great job!
AndiJF

TGCapper and Moderator 

#7 | Posted: 25 Feb 2008 04:47 | Edited by: AndiJF

That pesky wizard has been at it again. For some it's a dream come true. For others, not so much...
A Successful Transplant
A Successful Transplant
Eric

#8 | Posted: 25 Feb 2008 09:16

I love making lemonade. as others have said a lot of story here for one image, captions.
A successful transplant. I love it - lost body, lost gender, lost money. He ssure makes alot less a lowly nurse than as a MD! what 'Susie' needs is a marry a doctor now! So she caan have a comfortable life for her & her kids! LOL!
femur

Admin 

#9 | Posted: 25 Feb 2008 23:54

Andi shows her genius with "A Successful Transplant" by using an idea that I'm sure has been on more than one romance cover, a woman taking off her ring, and giving it a total TG twist!

The best covers are the ones where you look at the way the captioneer has given the image a new meaning, and at the same time, you think, "How come I didn't think of that when I saw it? It's so obvious!"

But the hitch is, of course, that it wasn't obvious until Andi made it so. Great work!
spacewoman88

#10 | Posted: 26 Feb 2008 05:15

These are both excellent covers. Like Femur said, the best covers are the ones that imply whole stories in a single image. In addition, these read very nicely, without the reader having to figure out which balloon goes first. Great work!

Amanda
AndiJF

TGCapper and Moderator 

#11 | Posted: 27 Feb 2008 06:08

Thank you all, and especially Femur, for your very kind comments. I confess that I do think "A Successful Transplant" comes off rather well, but the cover was a gift. The body-language and facial expressions of the three characters (especially the blonde), and the nurse's frantic ring fiddling, are perfect.
helen_buckley

#12 | Posted: 1 Jul 2008 23:35

Great cover very well done and very clever of you to spot the possibilities,
Helen

That pesky wizard has been at it again. For some it's a dream come true. For others, not so much...
AndiJF

TGCapper and Moderator 

#13 | Posted: 18 Sep 2009 01:22

It's been a while I know, but my cover-fu has returned (or at least I hope so). I've having a few "issues" with the TG Caps database, so I thought I'd just toss my latest SRU cover in here for now.
For 'tis the sport to have the engineer hoist with his own petard!
For 'tis the sport to have the engineer hoist with his own petard!
GrimGhost

#14 | Posted: 18 Sep 2009 02:49

I like the "Making Lemonade" cover, both for its self-contained story and for how well you photoshopped the crying eyes in the original.
GreatSage

#15 | Posted: 18 Sep 2009 12:54

Very good covers - I recall that there was an SRU story with the "making Lemonade" title - similar story too I assume it inspired you?
I liked the others too.
Modified Covers TGCaps Forums / Modified Covers / Spells R Us 2 Top
Your reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.