TGCaps Forums | Polls | Search | Rules/Guide |
Modified Covers TGCaps Forums / Modified Covers /  

Confessions 3

AndiJF

TGCapper and Moderator 

#1 | Posted: 27 Jun 2007 02:35 | Edited by: AndiJF

I'm suffering from "capper's block" on a couple of other projects, so:

Wedding night jitters was inspired by "Working Girl" by Stacyinlove. If you haven't read it, hurry over to Fictionmania and repair the omission. I was going to mention the T-girl's URNA profile in How to find your mate but it looked wrong in context. Melodrama city in Suffered in silence.
Wedding night jitters.
Wedding night jitters.
How to find your mate.
How to find your mate.
Suffered in silence.
Suffered in silence.
SoCalSecrets
TGCapper 

#2 | Posted: 27 Jun 2007 15:20

You've now done ten "Confessions of the Crossdresser" covers--only 53 more covers to go (for all the covers in the GCD database). ;-)

I've enjoyed them all, and am interested in seeing what you do with any of the other covers in that series.
Mary Anne

#3 | Posted: 27 Jun 2007 15:59

Wedding night jitters is wonderful, Andi.

I love T Girls bridal stories.
AndiJF

TGCapper and Moderator 

#4 | Posted: 28 Jun 2007 18:45

This was going to be part of the Confessions 3 batch, but the original at the Comic Database is a scan of a badly damaged cover, and it needed a lot of "airbrushing" to fix, so I got fed up with it. I can't actually draw, so I'm quite pleased with how the guy's face came out.
Duckling to swan.
Duckling to swan.
SoCalSecrets
TGCapper 

#5 | Posted: 28 Jun 2007 21:28 | Edited by: SoCalSecrets

Wow! You did an amazing job on your "airbrushing". I also enjoyed your recap. [Now if only Mary Anne would create an ad for "Terri's Transformations"...]

Faces and arms are the one area that's giving me the biggest problem. For so many of the scans, the skin tones are too pink or even too red, as well as often being blotchy in appearance. Most of the things I've tried to do to correct those problems just seem to make them worse. :-(
AndiJF

TGCapper and Moderator 

#6 | Posted: 28 Jun 2007 23:56 | Edited by: AndiJF

Thank you for the kind words.

"Faces and arms are the one area that's giving me the biggest problem. For so many of the scans, the skin tones are too pink or even too red, as well as often being blotchy in appearance. Most of the things I've tried to do to correct those problems just seem to make them worse."

Generally, I leave blotchy and uneven colour alone, because I see it as part of the authentic "old comic" look. However with "Duckling to swan" I ended up having to repair so much that the un-retouched areas stood out badly, and I ended up filling or airbrushing most of the background. I thought about fixing the blotchy colour on the red-head's arm, but frankly I was sick of fiddling with this cover.

As regards skin-tones, I hesitate to give advice. There are people on this forum who can actually draw, and they're better qualified to comment. All I can suggest is:

1. I use the non-aligned Clone tool with a fuzzy "brush" for re-touching. This allows me to "spray" mixed colour and pattern from one area over another.

2. For subtle work, I never "spray" at 100% opacity. Several semi-transparent "coats" of colour gives a more natural look. Similarly, if I mask out and Bucket Fill areas of the picture (usually the background), I have learned that it's good to fill at about 70% opacity or less. This lets the old uneven colour of the original comic "grin through" which looks more authentic (IMHO anyway...).

3. Don't try to do too much at once. I usually have to zoom into the image to retouch it, and I find it very difficult to judge how it will look viewed at the normal size. So I do a little bit, zoom out to check, zoom in, do a bit more, zoom out etc. If I try to do a lot in one go, I usually screw it up.

I'm self-taught on this stuff, so there may well be better ways of doing things. Perhaps someone might post some advice in the Tips & Techniques section of the forum.
SoCalSecrets
TGCapper 

#7 | Posted: 29 Jun 2007 01:21 | Edited by: SoCalSecrets

You've given me some very useful tips, so I'll start using them on my next project. I never even noticed the non-aligned option for the Clone tool, which is something I now know I should have been using all along.

I've got my manual for Paint Shop Pro stored away someplace, but until now I've only used the program for very simple stuff [e.g. creating favicons for friend's websites] so I've not really needed it. Maybe my next project should be to look for my PSP manual. ;-)
StacyInLove

#8 | Posted: 4 Oct 2008 01:10

A friend pointed me to this wonderful site. To see Grendle Swank's "Slut to Order"... and the kind words here... are so surprising and flattering to me that I'm still dumbfounded.

I will have to admit that I'd love to see behind the cover of "Wedding Night Jitters" though. The delightful artwork only makes me realize how "incomplete" my little ramblings are!

Hugs,
Stacy
AndiJF

TGCapper and Moderator 

#9 | Posted: 4 Oct 2008 06:05

Great to see you here, Stacy. Your stories are some of my favourites on Fictionmania.
femur

Admin 

#10 | Posted: 4 Oct 2008 08:56

I'm a big StacyInLove fan too. I'm always happy when a new story of hers is published.
Jezzi Stewart

TGCapper 

#11 | Posted: 5 Oct 2008 18:08

Great work, these last four, sis! What were the originals?
AndiJF

TGCapper and Moderator 

#12 | Posted: 5 Oct 2008 19:16

These are oldies, Jezzi. Like nearly all my Confessions Of The Crossdresser covers, these four are based on Confessions Of The Lovelorn originals.
Modified Covers TGCaps Forums / Modified Covers / Confessions 3 Top
Your reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.