TGCaps Forums | Polls | Search | Rules/Guide |
Modified Panels TGCaps Forums / Modified Panels /  

Unexpected Sensations?

Page  Page 3 of 69:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  65  66  67  68  69  Next »  
AndiJF

TGCapper and Moderator 

#31 | Posted: 16 May 2008 00:22

Curses! I've been working on a cover based on that Heart Throbs issue, and you beat me to it! Nice job though... :)

Big Sisters 4 is a classic, and really made me chortle. She's all angry about being tricked into girls' clothes, but "I had to go all over town to find a dress that matched my shoes!"...
SoCalSecrets
TGCapper 

#32 | Posted: 16 May 2008 01:48 | Edited by: SoCalSecrets

Curses! I've been working on a cover based on that Heart Throbs issue, and you beat me to it! Nice job though... :)

BobH has already beat you both to the use of that cover (see A New Trio). It's a wonderfully dramatic cover with lots of possibilities to it. The real challenge would be to find a version where the lady in red is the transgendered individual.

Big Sisters 4 is a classic, and really made me chortle.

I agree with Andi. It has some great cover art, and Helen added a fun storyline. Methinks he doth protest too much. ;-)

I think that the Big Sisters covers would work a little better with a display font for the title, instead of a handwriting font. I went through some of the fonts on my computer and created a file showing some of the fonts that I thought might work well. You probably don't have some of the fonts that I do, but I could send you a copy as a Paint Shop Pro file, or some other format, if you want one of them.
Big Sister title examples
Big Sister title examples
helen_buckley

#33 | Posted: 19 May 2008 00:27

Hoi SoCal, that would be great. Here's another Big Sister one,
Helen

helen_buckley

#34 | Posted: 19 May 2008 00:29

Actually, now that you mention it, re fonts I mean, are there fonts available which have a main body colour but are outlined in another colour? Not sure if I described that well,
Helen
AndiJF

TGCapper and Moderator 

#35 | Posted: 19 May 2008 02:01

Helen, to get the sort of effect you're looking for, you'll probably need more than just a font. I have used two techniques.

1. Comic Life allows you to apply all sorts of special effects to your titles. You can choose plain or fancy fonts, apply outlines, gradient colour, shadows etc. and rotate, stagger, and bend them to taste. It is powerful, but it can be difficult to match the text style to the original cover artwork so that it looks part of the original.

2. Another approach is to use your graphic editor, provided it supports layers. Having entered your text on one layer, you can then duplicate that layer, select the text on the "lower" layer, enlarge the selection by one or two pixels, and finally fill the selection with your chosen outline colour. The upper layer in the body colour will now appear to have a border around it, and you can "merge" the upper layer down onto the lower one if you wish.

If you've never used layers, the above probably sounds confusing. Just imagine your layers as sheets of transparent plastic. Imagine writing "Big Sisters" in red felt-tip one sheet, and then writing it again in a thicker pen on another sheet. Then imagine laying the red text on top of the black.
helen_buckley

#36 | Posted: 20 May 2008 18:48

Hi Andi, thanks for that, I do understand layers, Paint Shop Pro has them but I have never used them. I'll try it.
helen_buckley

#37 | Posted: 20 May 2008 19:02 | Edited by: helen_buckley

Andi, Hi, I just tried that, it doesn't work so well as the letters proportions don't lay over the lower ones leaving the space around, like a B for example, shrinking the upper layer show the letter underneath clearly all the away round, like in the central holes. But thanks anyhow.
Helen
helen_buckley

#38 | Posted: 20 May 2008 19:16

Here's an example

AndiJF

TGCapper and Moderator 

#39 | Posted: 20 May 2008 20:28

Ah... I see. I didn't make myself clear. You have enlarged the black letter layer, and that's not what I meant. The process I used to create the black outline round the word "Crossdresser" in the title of this cover is different:

1. Type the title text on a transparent layer.
2. Duplicate the title layer, and select the "lower" of the two layers as the active one for editing.
3. Select the actual text to create an edit mask. I use GIMP's Select By Color function to do this.
4. Enlarge the selection by one or two pixels. This will enlarge into the "holes" in letters as well as round the outside.
5. Fill the selection with your outline colour.
6. Clear your selection.
7. Apply any filters you want to your two text layers.
8. Merge the "upper" text layer down onto the lower (optional).
9. Sit back and admire your work.

I hope this is a bit clearer. It's one of those things that would take five minutes to demonstrate, but is difficult to describe. Unfortunately I don't know Paintshop Pro, so I can't give detailed steps.
helen_buckley

#40 | Posted: 21 May 2008 18:08

I found these covers in the Pulp Fiction archives and thought they were worth playing around with,
Helen

helen_buckley

#41 | Posted: 21 May 2008 18:16

Hi Andi, I had a look at this in PSP and I shall need more time to sit and work it out. I'm not that fast at this, I do appreciate your help though and shall persevere in trying it out. PSP does have layers and variable transparency so it's possible just a matter of me applying my shrinking grey cells to the problem! Thanks again,
Helen
Ah... I see. I didn't make myself clear. You have enlarged the black letter layer, and that's not what I meant. The process I used to create the black outline round the word "Crossdresser" in the title of this cover is different:

1. Type the title text on a transparent layer.
2. Duplicate the title layer, and select the "lower" of the two layers as the active one for editing.
3. Select the actual text to create an edit mask. I use GIMP's Select By Color function to do this.
4. Enlarge the selection by one or two pixels. This will enlarge into the "holes" in letters as well as round the outside.
5. Fill the selection with your outline colour.
6. Clear your selection.
7. Apply any filters you want to your two text layers.
8. Merge the "upper" text layer down onto the lower (optional).
9. Sit back and admire your work.

I hope this is a bit clearer. It's one of those things that would take five minutes to demonstrate, but is difficult to describe. Unfortunately I don't know Paintshop Pro, so I can't give detailed steps.
helen_buckley

#42 | Posted: 21 May 2008 18:23

Another one from the Pulp Fiction archives, has any one been finding any sites that offer other options?
Helen

helen_buckley

#43 | Posted: 21 May 2008 19:20

Here's one I retitled, it made more sense, in a silly way, the original mag was called Heart Throb, I remembered how the accent was for the guys in Good Will Hunting, I think it's a Boston accent, please correct me if I'm wrong. But I imagined 'Heart' being pronounced as 'Hat' and it seemed to fit!
Helen

helen_buckley

#44 | Posted: 21 May 2008 19:23

Hi Andi, I cheated on that last caption, 'Hat Throbs', the original letters all had straight sides with minimal curvature so I just used drew around the edge using the line tool,
Helen
helen_buckley

#45 | Posted: 21 May 2008 21:02

A lady called Lorna Samuels has been posting some great Playboy cartoons with great captions, I saw one she did as a tribute for Femur and thought it made a great 'tricked' toon. I hope she doesn't mind, she just inspired me,
Helen

Page  Page 3 of 69:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  65  66  67  68  69  Next » 
Modified Panels TGCaps Forums / Modified Panels / Unexpected Sensations? Top
Your reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.